Dentures are removable dental appliances that serve as a replacement for missing teeth and surrounding tissues. They are custom-made to fit your mouth perfectly, providing a natural-looking smile and improving your ability to eat, speak, and chew properly.
There are two main types of dentures: complete dentures and partial dentures. Complete dentures are recommended when all the teeth in either the upper or lower jaw need to be replaced. Partial dentures, on the other hand, are used when only some teeth are missing, but there is still a significant amount of healthy natural teeth remaining.
The Process of Getting Dentures
The process of getting dentures is a multi-step journey that begins with an initial consultation and ends with a confident smile. First, you'll meet with the dentist to discuss your specific needs and goals. They will conduct a thorough examination of your mouth, including taking X-rays and impressions. These steps are crucial in ensuring that your dentures fit perfectly and function properly.
Once the necessary information has been gathered, the next step is creating a customized treatment plan. This involves selecting the type of dentures that best suit your situation, whether it be full dentures to replace all missing teeth or partial dentures for those who still have some natural teeth remaining. After finalizing the treatment plan, any necessary preparations will be made. This may include extracting any remaining damaged teeth or performing other dental procedures to ensure optimal oral health before placing the dentures.
Next comes the exciting moment when your new set of dentures is fabricated! The design and color will be carefully chosen to match your natural appearance as closely as possible while also providing functionality and comfort. Once ready, you'll return to have the completed denture fitted into place. The dentist will make any necessary adjustments to ensure proper alignment and bite. It's important to communicate any concerns during this fitting appointment so that they can be addressed promptly.
After leaving the office with your new smile, it's normal for an adjustment period to occur as you become accustomed to wearing dentures. The dentist will provide instructions on how to care for them properly, including cleaning techniques and maintenance routines.
Benefits of Dentures
When it comes to replacing missing teeth, dentures offer numerous benefits that can greatly improve your quality of life. Here are some of the advantages of choosing dentures:
- Restored Functionality: Dentures allow you to chew and speak with ease, making it easier to enjoy a wide variety of foods and communicate clearly.
- Improved Aesthetics: Dentures not only fill in gaps left by missing teeth but also help maintain the natural shape of your face, giving you a more youthful appearance.
- Enhanced Confidence: With dentures, you no longer have to worry about hiding your smile or feeling self-conscious about missing teeth. You can feel confident again and socialize without any hesitation.
- Affordable Option: Compared to other tooth replacement options like dental implants or bridges, dentures are generally more affordable, making them accessible for many people seeking tooth replacement solutions.
- Easy Maintenance: Denture care is relatively simple and straightforward. Regular brushing and soaking in a denture cleanser solution help keep them clean and free from bacteria.
- Customization Options: Modern dentistry offers various materials, colors, shapes, and sizes for dentures so they can be customized to match your unique oral characteristics perfectly.
Artisan Dental, located in Plymouth, MN, has expert dentists and modern technologies that enable patients' best dental care services. Dial (763) 519-8880 and book an appointment with a dentist in Plymouth, MN, to learn more about dentures and other dental care facilities.